Can I Modify a Child Custody Agreement?

By Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C.Child Custody

Unfortunately, child custody and visitation can be one of the most contentious issues in any divorce case. However, quality legal counsel may be able to hash out some thorny issues that present themselves. Photo of child

Keep in mind, custody is always determined by a court based on the best interest of the child. Neglect or abuse always gives rise to a negative inference against the instigator.

If your former spouse is failing to live up to his or her parental obligations especially because of serious abuse, neglect, threats and/or other forms of domestic violence, you may be able to seek full custody of a child and deny the other parent visitation rights. Through documentation, and by working with an attorney, it may be possible for you to prove that the other parent is unfit for custodial rights or visitation.

Remember, if you have a custody arrangement in place, if one parent is failing to live up to his or her responsibilities, you may be able to have the agreement modified post-divorce.

Rapper Wiz Khalifa and Ex in Child Custody Spat

A good example of a child custody dispute is rapper Wiz Khalifa’s battle with model Amber Rose. According to the New York Daily News, Khalifa wants a greater share of parenting time when it comes to the couple’s 1-year-old son.

According to the news outlet, the rapper has been calling Rose a “deadbeat mom” to media representatives. Additionally, he is allegedly in the process of compiling complaints about Rose for a custody modification. These complaints allegedly include allegations that the child lives in unsanitary conditions and that she goes out to parties rather than taking care of him. This is a double edged sword.  Statements made to the child or to the public about the other parent is not a sign of a “Friendly Parent”. A parent found not to be a “Friendly Parent” will do damage to the court’s opinion of their parenting abilities. Publicly embarrassing your child’s other parent does not serve the best interests of the child.

Working with an Attorney in a Child Custody Case

Remember, if a parent is failing to live up to his or her obligations, it may be a good idea to seek a custodial modification. Unfortunately, when one parent is failing with a child, it can cause turmoil in any arrangement. By working with an attorney, you may be able to resolve your custody issues with your ex in a legal manner.

Keep in mind, our attorneys have more than four decades of experience in family law negotiations. Continue to follow the family law section of our blog for more information about issues surrounding divorce and child custody. We update it regularly.

Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. – Divorce Attorneys


Previous Post Next Post