Personal injury victims and their families often experience waves of misfortune. First an accident causes physical injury and possible property damage as well, then the victim must go through treatment or other healing processes, and then medical bills follow at a time when the ability to work may have been impaired.
The law firm of Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. was founded over four decades ago upon a commitment to bring and artful legal representation to individuals, families, and businesses in New Jersey. We bring that same dedication when representing the individuals and families who have been hit hard by someone else’s negligence.
Who is eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit?
A personal injury is a physical injury caused by someone else’s wrongful action. If you have injuries as a result of an auto accident, workplace accident, or a slip and fall accident, or if you have been seriously injured by a defective product or medical malpractice, you may be entitled to recover money for your losses. Consider speaking with a Bergen County personal injury lawyer without delay because statutes of limitations restrict the amount of time you have to make a claim.
How do I choose a personal injury lawyer?
You would not choose a veterinarian to perform your heart surgery. In a similar way, you should choose a lawyer with significant and successful experience in the area in which you need representation.
While KGG offers representation in a number of disciplines, each of our partners focuses and specializes in specific practice areas. Under the leadership of Barry S. Kantrowitz, KGG has recovered millions of dollars for individuals who were the unfortunate victims of someone else’s negligence. Mr. Kantrowitz, a veteran personal injury attorney, personally supervises the day-to-day operations of our accident and injury practice as he has done for years.
Our team of personal injury lawyers has decades of trial experience and its members have represented victims for a multitude of accidents and injuries, ranging from moderate to catastrophic injury. Listed below is a selection of the categories which illustrate the wide variety of claims Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman handles on a daily basis.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Construction Site Accidents (Labor 240)
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Work-Related Car Accidents
- Work-Related Injuries
- Third-Party Claims
- Roof and Ladder Falls
- Forklift Accidents
- Fire and Explosion Accidents
Nursing Home Abuse
Other Personal Injury Cases
- Dog Bites
- Shopping Mall Injuries and Falls at the Mall
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Burn Injury
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Head Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Product Liability
Steps you should take immediately after a Bergen County Personal Injury.
If you’ve experienced a personal injury in Bergen County, it’s essential to take immediate action to protect your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. As a client of Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C., here are the steps you should take following your personal injury:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and safety are of utmost importance. Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if your injuries seem minor. Prompt medical care not only ensures your well-being but also creates a crucial record of your injuries that can be used as evidence in your case.
- Preserve Evidence: If possible, gather and preserve any evidence related to your injury. This may include photographs of the accident scene, injuries, property damage, and any relevant documents or records. Additionally, collect contact information from any witnesses who may have seen the incident.
- Report the Incident: Report the accident to the appropriate authorities, such as the police or property owner, depending on the nature of the incident. Having an official report can be valuable for your case.
- Notify the Law Firm: Contact Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. as soon as possible to inform them of your personal injury. They will guide you through the legal process, answer your questions, and start working on your case.
- Avoid Making Statements: Be cautious about discussing the incident with others or posting about it on social media. Statements made without legal guidance could be used against you later. Refer all inquiries and communication from insurance companies or opposing parties to your attorney.
- Keep Records: Maintain a detailed record of all expenses and losses related to your injury, including medical bills, receipts for medications, travel costs for medical appointments, and any time missed from work. These records will be crucial when seeking compensation for your damages.
- Follow Medical Advice: Adhere to your doctor’s recommendations and attend all necessary medical appointments. Your commitment to following medical advice demonstrates the seriousness of your injuries and strengthens your case.
- Do Not Sign Anything: Refrain from signing any documents, waivers, or agreements related to the incident without first consulting your lawyer. Signing such documents prematurely could limit your rights or undermine your claim.
- Stay Informed: Stay in contact with your attorney to stay updated on the progress of your case. Ask questions and inform them of any new developments related to your injury.
- Cooperate with Your Lawyer: Work closely with your legal team at Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. They will use their expertise to build a strong case on your behalf and negotiate with insurance companies or opposing parties to secure fair compensation.
Remember that every personal injury case is unique, and the above steps are general guidelines. Your attorney will provide personalized advice based on the specifics of your situation. By taking prompt action and working closely with your legal team, you increase your chances of achieving a favorable outcome in your Bergen County personal injury case.
What kind of compensation is available for a personal injury claim?
The law recognizes the right of personal injury victims to be “made whole” through compensation. This can include reimbursement of measurable economic losses such as medical expenses, lost wages, and in-home services that the victim is not able to perform on his or her own, as well as payments for intangibles like pain, suffering, and emotional distress.
In some types of personal injury, like a premises liability claim that takes place on another’s property, the victim may be able to recover for all of his or her losses. In other types of claims, the right of recovery may be limited or altered by other laws. For example, New Jersey has adopted no-fault laws that affect how claims are made and compensated.
Some injuries are eligible for workers’ compensation claims and this also affects how the claim will proceed.
Why you need a lawyer for your accident injury claim
If you’ve sustained a personal injury due to an accident, seeking legal representation from Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. is crucial to protect your rights and maximize your chances of a successful injury claim. Here are the reasons why you need a lawyer for your accident injury claim:
- Legal Expertise: Personal injury law is complex and varies by jurisdiction. Hiring an experienced lawyer ensures you have someone knowledgeable in the relevant laws and regulations governing your case. Lawyers at Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. have a deep understanding of personal injury law in Bergen County, allowing them to navigate the legal intricacies efficiently.
- Assessment of Claim Value: Determining the true value of your injury claim can be challenging. An attorney will assess the full extent of your losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future damages. They will work to ensure you receive fair and just compensation for your injuries.
- Evidence Gathering: A skilled personal injury lawyer knows how to gather and preserve critical evidence to support your claim. This may involve obtaining accident reports, interviewing witnesses, consulting with experts, and reviewing medical records. Solid evidence strengthens your case and increases the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Negotiation Skills: Insurance companies often try to settle injury claims for as little as possible. Having a lawyer representing you demonstrates to the insurance company that you are serious about your claim. Attorneys at Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. are adept negotiators who can advocate for your rights and push for a fair settlement.
- Trial Experience: While most personal injury claims are settled out of court, some cases may proceed to trial. If that happens, having a skilled trial lawyer on your side is essential. The law firm’s attorneys have extensive experience representing clients in court and are prepared to fight for your rights before a judge and jury.
- Timely Filing of Claims: Personal injury claims have specific deadlines known as statutes of limitations. If you miss the deadline, you may lose your right to seek compensation altogether. A lawyer will ensure that all necessary paperwork is filed promptly, protecting your claim from being time-barred.
- Focus on Recovery: Dealing with a personal injury can be physically, emotionally, and mentally draining. Having a lawyer handle the legal aspects of your claim allows you to focus on your recovery and well-being.
- Contingency Fee Arrangement: Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. operates on a contingency fee basis. This means you only pay legal fees if your lawyer successfully obtains compensation for you. This arrangement ensures that legal representation is accessible to anyone, regardless of their financial situation.
- Understanding of Insurance Practices: Insurance companies may try to use tactics to devalue or deny your claim. Attorneys experienced in personal injury law understand these tactics and can protect your interests from unfair practices.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that a skilled legal team is handling your case gives you peace of mind during a challenging time. You can trust that your attorney is working diligently to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
New Jersey’s Two Year Legal Time Limit For Filing A Personal Injury Claim
In New Jersey, individuals who have sustained personal injuries due to the negligence or wrongful actions of others must be aware of the state’s statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim. As part of Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C.’s commitment to providing comprehensive legal assistance, we emphasize the importance of adhering to this two-year time limit.
New Jersey’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims is a critical legal time frame that begins on the date of the accident or incident that caused the injury. Under this law, individuals have a period of two years to initiate legal action seeking compensation for their injuries, damages, and losses. Failing to file a claim within this statutory deadline can result in the forfeiture of your right to pursue legal recourse against the responsible parties.
As experienced personal injury attorneys, we understand the significance of the statute of limitations and the implications it holds for our clients. Our primary objectives are to protect the rights of our clients and ensure they receive the justice and compensation they deserve for their injuries.
Here’s why timely action is essential:
- Preservation of Evidence: Initiating legal action promptly allows us to gather and preserve crucial evidence related to the accident or incident. As time passes, evidence can be lost, memories may fade, and witnesses might become harder to locate. By acting swiftly, we can secure vital information that will strengthen your case.
- Thorough Investigation: Our legal team conducts thorough investigations to establish liability and negligence on the part of the responsible parties. Initiating the process early allows us to uncover essential details and build a robust case on your behalf.
- Maximizing Compensation: Pursuing legal action within the statute of limitations ensures that you have the opportunity to seek fair and maximum compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Avoiding Legal Barriers: Missing the filing deadline can significantly hinder your ability to pursue a personal injury claim. By acting promptly, we eliminate potential legal barriers that could prevent you from seeking justice for your injuries.
- Peace of Mind: Taking timely legal action grants you peace of mind, knowing that your case is being handled by seasoned professionals who are dedicated to advocating for your best interests.
As your legal representatives, we urge you to consult with us immediately after sustaining a personal injury in New Jersey. Our experienced attorneys at Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. will guide you through the legal process, ensuring that your claim is filed within the two-year statute of limitations. We are committed to protecting your rights and fighting tirelessly to secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
Having a lawyer from Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. for your accident injury claim provides you with the legal expertise, support, and advocacy needed to navigate the complexities of personal injury law and secure the compensation you deserve.
Partner with a committed Bergen County personal injury attorney
No two cases are the same; each client who walks through the door needs a custom-tailored approach for success. When you speak with a New Jersey personal injury attorney from KGG, you will get a taste of the personal attention that we bring to each claim. We offer an honest and informed review of your claim and we do not get paid unless you do – we only collect a fee if we win a verdict or settlement on your behalf.
Call our offices today or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free confidential consultation. For your convenience, we are available in our Bergen County offices and evening appointments are available if necessary.
Additional Personal Injury Resources:
- New Jersey State Bar Association, https://tcms.njsba.com/PersonifyEbusiness/default.aspx