Book with title family law on a table.A divorce or family law dispute can leave you worried about your present and future, especially when it involves your children. Paul B. Goldhamer and the NY & NJ family law attorneys at Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. help families in Bergen County and Rockland County navigate the practical and legal implications of these deeply personal matters.

When you speak with a New York & New Jersey family attorney at KGG, you receive legal expertise presented with compassion and personal attention. We bring more than four decades of experience to the table, helping your negotiations run smoothly and fairly. If negotiations are unsuccessful, however, we have many years of courtroom experience that we will put to use to fight for your rights.

How can family law lawyers help?

There are a few characteristics that make matrimonial cases special when compared to standard civil law matters.

  • High-stress: Legal proceedings cause stress for just about everyone but when it involves the end of a marriage or impacts parenting rights, the anxiety is much higher.
  • Overlapping issues: It is common for a single family law case to involve several matters – from complicated division of assets to relocating children – and, consequently, higher stakes.
  • Potential for ongoing court involvement: even when family law matters are resolved, a court may retain jurisdiction to enforce the orders or agreements reached and to settle any directly related matters that arise.

What is included in “matrimonial law”?

A matrimonial attorney, also often referred to as a family lawyer, may offer legal guidance and advice on family issues ranging from prenuptial agreements before a marriage to adjustments of child support and alimony long after a marriage is ended. Even if there never was a marriage, matrimonial lawyers may help parents establish paternity, work out parent relocation issues, and implement or enforce visitation agreements.

Our family lawyers have experience helping families in Rockland County and Bergen County with every aspect of matrimonial law. Our NJ and NY family law attorneys instill confidence in clients with their decades of skilled and knowledgeable representation. Areas where we can help include:


Each state has its own requirements about when and how a spouse may file for divorce. Many people do not realize they need to meet a residency requirement and base a petition for divorce on reasons listed in the state laws. Our attorneys help people make decisions that work for them and meet the requirements of the law.

Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements

There is a long-standing myth that prenuptial agreements are not enforceable in court. In reality, they are valid if they are properly drafted. When done right, prenuptial agreements can be valuable for setting forth terms to govern property rights and issues like alimony, removing some of the question of what should happen if the marriage does end.

When a marriage does end, it is usually resolved with a post nuptial agreement. These should be skillfully drafted because they can potentially affect the rights and obligations of the former spouses for decades to come.

KGG lawyers put their extensive experience to work to negotiate and draft effective agreements that encapsulate the parties’ intentions and that will stand up to challenge if necessary.

Child Custody & Visitation Rights

Child custody and visitation issues can arise regardless of whether the parents were married. When there is no agreement, tensions can rise and the situation can become highly emotional. Our family lawyers focus on the immediate issues while keeping the long-term in mind. We help you reach solutions that will benefit your children now and in the long run.

Division of Marital Assets

Whether you are in New York or New Jersey, you may not comprehend just how far-reaching the division of marital assets is until you are faced with a dissolution. Residential property, family business assets and retirement accounts are just a few of the factors that impact how the assets are divided. New York and New Jersey do not follow precisely the same standards but our attorneys are well-versed in the procedures and likely outcomes no matter which state your proceeding takes place in.

Child Support

New York and New Jersey both recognize the obligation of custodial and non-custodial parents alike to financially support their children. Each state uses calculators to determine child support amounts but there are factors that can influence the courts to order other amounts instead. KGG family attorneys are here to help parents determine, refine or modify child support obligations.

Alimony & Spousal Maintenance

Unless there is a clear prenuptial agreement in place, alimony and spousal maintenance often becomes a key issue in a divorce proceeding. New York and New Jersey laws recognize several forms of alimony that may be applicable depending on the situation. Our divorce attorneys are here to offer guidance to individuals who are going through a divorce and need to establish alimony or spousal maintenance, as well as those who may need to have a support order modified based on changed circumstances.

Paternity Law for Unmarried Parents

An unmarried biological father is not automatically recognized by law as his child’s father. Each state has its own process for establishing paternity and fathers who do not follow the procedure may not have the rights they expect. At Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, our family law attorneys help parents establish paternity and navigate related matters like child support.

Post-Divorce Modifications

Life changes that affect job status, income, or residence could be reason to modify an alimony or child support order. Matrimonial attorneys at our firm work with you to effectively implement the necessary post-divorce modifications – amicably if possible, but we are not afraid to litigate when warranted.

Parental Relocation

When there is a custody order in place, a parent must work toward an agreement with the other parent or obtain an order from the court before relocating. We use our years of experience to counsel parents and help effectuate parental relocation, preventing a violation of a court order.

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence situations can amplify the tension that already abounds in a family law case. For a victim, it is necessary to act quickly to protect their safety. For those accused of domestic violence, charges can have a serious impact on child custody, visitation, and other rights. Our matrimonial lawyers keep the best interest of the family in mind while working towards a solution that protects your rights.

Call a knowledgeable and compassionate matrimonial attorney

When you need an attorney in New York or New Jersey to advise you in a matter of matrimonial law, you need Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C. Our family law attorneys in Bergen County and Rockland County keep your rights in the forefront as we work toward a solution for your family.

Additional Family Law Resources:

  1. NY Courts, Divorce Basics,
  2. New Jersey Department of Human Services, Child Support: It’s more than just money,
  3. New York Courts, Child Support,