Spousal support or child support can be modified by the parties to the judgment or the parties of the agreement, but you cannot unilaterally make changes to the support requirement. If you believe you’re entitled to a modification based on a significant change of circumstances, either party can apply to the court for a modification of child support or spousal support. In New Jersey, child support and spousal support can be modified up and down. In New York, spousal support can only be downward modified. It cannot be upwardly increased.

Back to the video FAQ list