The answer to this question should be obvious. You should take the summons and complaint to your attorney. Or if you don’t have an attorney, you should look for somebody who specializes in, or has experience in the area in which the suit is focused. Such as, if it’s a real estate transaction that went bad, you should go to an attorney who does litigation in real estate. Or if it’s a personal injury type of, or property damage, action, you should bring it to an attorney that specializes in that area. After he reviews the summons and complaint, he will discuss with you the types of affirmative defenses and possibly counterclaims that you might bring in the action.

Back to the video FAQ list