Can I renegotiate the length of time I receive alimony?

Yes, under certain circumstances. The term of the alimony or spousal support is either fixed by the agreement or the judgment of divorce. If something subsequent happens that you need to modify the duration you might be able to do it if you can negotiate it or if it fits into certain categories that the court would recognize. For instance, if you retire, not early but at a reasonable time, the court might see fit to shorten the lifetime alimony period. If you’ve suffered financial reverses you might be able to buy out your obligation as to duration with a lump sum payment. There are many arrangements that can be made.

Back to the video FAQ list

Let Us Review Your Case

Speak with an experienced attorney that can get you the compensation you deserve. Your call is confidential.

For Immediate Service, Call 800-711-5258