By MatadorAdminAccident Attorney

There are many things to consider in the aftermath of a New Jersey car accident. First, you have to navigate insurance issues and medical care. In addition, in most cases, you also have a responsibility to notify the police. The failure to do so could result in serious consequences, including criminal charges and diminished personal injury recovery. At Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P. C., we fight to recover our clients’ damages to compensate for all of their car accident injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation.

When is a report necessary?

As noted above, a police report is not necessary following every motor vehicle collision. Some accidents are so minor a report is unnecessary. However, you must notify law enforcement in the following circumstances:

  • When the accident results in bodily injury or death, or
  • When the accident involved $500 or more in property damage

In general, it is safest to assume if there is visible damage to the other vehicle, you should contact the police.

How much time do I have to report the accident?

The law does not set out a specific amount of time you have to notify law enforcement of an accident. Instead, you are required to inform the police using the “quickest means of communication available.” For most people, this involves an immediate phone call to the police.

There is flexibility built into the statute to avoid punishing those individuals who do not have access to a phone. In theory, notifying the police in person is the next best option. Most of the time, someone involved in the collision, or a bystander will alert the police that a crash has happened within moments.

There are exceptions when it comes to serious injuries. If a driver is too hurt to notify the police, they will not face any consequences for not calling law enforcement.

Contact us for a free consultation

If you have been in an accident in Bergen County, reporting it to the police is only one step in a long process. To secure financial compensation for your injuries, contact a car accident lawyer. At Kantrowitz, Goldhamer, & Graifman, P.C., we can lead you step-by-step through the personal injury process. With our help, you could recover financial compensation for your injuries so that you can heal and rebuild your life. Call for a free consultation to learn more.

Previous Post Next Post